Diamond engagement rings have become much larger and more beautiful than they used to be, and are now made with different metals such as platinum, silver, white or yellow gold, or a mixture of these elements.
However, the size of the diamond is not the main reason why some of these types of rings have become so popular; instead, it is the famous person spotted flaunting the ring.
Celebrities have the power to influence new trends in fashion, and they have also started a craze in diamond rings. Here are just a few examples of famous women who have sported iconic diamond rings:
• Elizabeth Taylor was seen with a diamond ring on her finger when she got married to her third husband, Michael Todd. Her ring was an emerald cut, weighing almost 30 carats.
• When Priscilla was engaged to Elvis Presley, she was spotted with a 3.5 carat diamond engagement ring circled by 21 smaller stones.
• Sharon Stone was also given a 3.5 carat emerald-cut diamond engagement ring.
• Percy Gibson gave a heart-shaped diamond ring in a nineteenth century setting to his wife Joan Collins.
• Britney Spears even got two engagement rings; the first one she bought for herself before the wedding, which was a 4 carat, cushion-cut diamond ring with a platinum pave setting, and then she received another ring from her husband Kevin Federline.
• Lady Diana received an 18 carat, blue oval sapphire ring, circled by fourteen diamonds.